GENERAL HUGH J. GAFFEY
[FORMERLY ADM W. L. CAPPS]
Named in honor of Adm Washington Lee Capps, USNA Class 1884, General Mgr Emergency Fleet Corporation 1917, raised sunken Spanish vessels in 1898-99, and who later became Chief Constructor of the Navy.
After WW II, the ship was renamed General Hugh J. Gaffey, and subsequently turned over to the Army in 1950. In Nov 1968 she was laid up with the National Defense Reserve Fleet, Suisun, California 1969. In 1978 re-acquired by the Navy and reinstated as IX-507 as the General Hugh J. Gaffey.
Decommissioned, towed to Hawaii for use as a "target" ship.